Saturday, July 14, 2007

We'll miss the Kiwis!!




It's been a tough week for Kristie and I. We've had a lot going on at work, gone out enough to kill lesser women, and said goodbye to new friends. I'll start from the end of that list. To be absolutely clear, there is no better way to Kristie's heart than to buy her drinks. And Rob - well, you have her heart! We tried to calculate out our debt to the Kiwis... and our best guess is around $450. No, guys, the check is not in the mail. Postage to New Zealand is just too much! But beyond the kind-hearted nature of these men (looking to us each time they bought a round) we've laughed over some outrageous activities at karaoke, heard more about Toby than we probably need to know, and had a sure group of friends to meet at Hooligans. That kind of devotion to a bar is priceless!
This week, Kristie and I realized that Hooligans has become our Cheers. Walking into the bar on a Tuesday, the bartender looked up at us and said, "Two T&Ts?" She even knows what kind of gin I like! What service! When we have to leave this town, I think I will cry over the shuffleboard table and kiss the dance floor goodbye.
Finally, work has been wild. The second photo from the top is the courthouse on a gray day. The bottom photo is our office - conveniently located across from the courthouse. (The top photo is of our backyard... just because I love how barren it looks. We have gone four-byen' back there!) I came to Alaska by accident (it's a long story) but I've been so glad to have ended up with my job. This week I did a cross-examination and a closing argument in an evidentiary hearing, a couple of change of pleas, a few bail reviews - and had three telephonic court appearances. The best thing about practicing in Alaska (for the lazy lawyer) is being able to kick back in a t-shirt and cordouroys, drinking coffee, a file open on my lap, and be in court in a neighboring city via speakerphone. You know, working at the Alaska Public Defender Office has been a little bit like legal boot-camp, but I realized Friday how much I've learned in seven weeks. I was in a courtroom without any lawyers present, and for the first time, I didn't have any desperate questions to ask the attorneys. Unlike a week before, when I told a judge, "I'm really sorry your honor, I don't know what I'm doing, I'm still learning this whole thing," I think I seemed semi-competent. This lawyering as an extreme sport - submitting motions hot off the printer, getting to court at exactly the time of our hearing - really speaks to my way of life. So, the decision's made; I'm going to be a criminal attorney for at least a little while. Anyone have any job openings for August 2008?!?

4 comments:

Skidbiter said...

Sorry, left comment on wrong post. Will stick to jumping outta choppers...

Anonymous said...

Go get 'em Ginnie. Love ~ Mom

Anonymous said...

Sure Bonnie knows your drinks but the Security (bouncers) keep you safe and make you feel welcomed.

Anonymous said...

Can you get my baby daughter, Sweet Loretta out on bail? She really is a good girl it's just the Police who don't understand her.