Monday, June 18, 2007

Happy as a clam... or the 220 clams we caught!

Another weekend, another adventure. We went clamming in Ninilchik and managed to dig up over 200 clams. I refuse to fish, because I just don't have the patience for it, but clamming - well, there's more reward for your efforts. After catching over 3 limits (among 5 fishing licenses) the gang retired home to clean them. Let me tell you, cleaning a razor clam is more commitment than I'm ready for. We spent about 3 and a half hours outside, rinsing off bits of clams in clod water, until my opposable thumbs were useless. But in the end, it was all worthwhile, because we ate the best chowder and fried clams I've ever had.
In other news, Kristie and I checked out the social scene in Soldotna Friday night. We went to Hooligans, the town's most happening bar, dressed to kill and ready for fun. And fun it was. Kristie took advantage of the generousity of the nice British man who liked my eyes - four drinks worth of generousity. Ah, the things I do for Kristie. I believe he grabbed my face and squeezed it. My eyes popped out in disbelief. Kristie later recalled that she was shocked that a man could be so intrigued by a woman made to look like a fish. But then again, we're in Alaska. A few more drinks later, and I (still sober) went with Kristie to pick up Mike and Melody at the Kenai Airport. Back to Soldotna we went, and after a brief visit to Houligans, we moved on to Riverside. It was all well and good, until we were kicked out of the bar...
It started with an innocent game of limbo. There we were, determining how low we could go, and I had already been eliminated. (Darn my cute new heels!) Kristie, limboing lower now, fell during her turn. It was crushing enough to have to take second place, but imagine her heartbreak when the bouncer not only asked her to leave, but wouldn't let her take her drink with her! Smiling, I asked the nice bouncer if I could have the piece of crepe paper as a souvenier - our former limbo stick. He obliged, and I have one very funny memory.

4 comments:

My home is Alaska said...

Why no mention of Kristies 22 lb King salmon? Why no mention of your constant harassment of me at work with your cries of "we are better clammers than you" and "fishy, fishy here we come and you'll never see one". Brutal.

Anonymous said...

hey! glad to see you're having fun. I love the fact that you're blogging. It's the perfect way to keep up your adventures. miss you!

Unknown said...

I spent an afternoon catching mussels in new zealand- that is the kind of hunting I like, the kind of hunting where the animal can't run away.

Kirby said...

Mmmmm clammies! We missed your expert clam cleaning skills on Tuesday! So many clams, so little time......
Are you missing us crazy Seattleites yet? Come visit, I have lots of space in my trunk;)